Thursday, October 16, 2008

News Flash: Palin Praises McCain's Performance In Debate

CNN posted a story with the headline "Palin Praises McCain's Performance In Debate." Is anyone surprised by that? Isn't that the job of the running mate? Even though only 31% of people polled thought McCain won, you'd hope one of those 31% would be Palin. Since when is it news when a running mate says something good about the nominee?

That said, the article did have some redeeming value. While speaking in Banghor, Maine, Palin had these nice words to say about her crowd:

“I feel like I am at home because I see the Carhartts and the steel-toed boots,” she said, standing next to Maine’s senior senator Olympia Snowe. “And I see mixed in there with the suits and the ties, the NRA hats and all those good things that remind me of home.”

Maybe it is just me, but people wearing "the Carhartts and the steel-toed boots" or "the suits and the ties" doesn't really evoke 'home' to me. Now, I recognize I am not from Alaska, but where I come from people wearing suits and ties reminds me of work. And, if I am not mistaken, folks wear steel-toed boots and Carhartts to work and then take them off when they get home.
But maybe she meant home in the broader sense. But that leads to another question: why should work clothes and NRA hats remind Palin of Alaska? It's not like Alaska has cornered the market on those things. They are fairly common across the lower 48 states as well. And it isn't like those are iconic Alaskan images. I'm guessing NRA hats and Carhartts don't even make the top 10 list of things people think about when they think of Alaska. It's like saying "seeing all these cars here reminds me of my home, Chicago ... because it has cars."

We should give her some credit. At least she said something nice about her fans this time. In Richmond, she mistook her fans for hecklers. When the fans started chanting 'louder, louder' because they couldn't hear, she stopped speaking and chastised them, saying ""I hope those protesters have the courage and honor to give veterans thanks for their right to protest." If this is how she regards her supporters, one can only wonder what she'll do when she comes across someone who doesn't agree with her. Maybe that's why she's been ducking interviews from the major media outlets.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Crikey! Did she talk about McCain, tongue wagging, going for Obama's sweet ass after the debate? You've got to see the picture:
http://www.clipsandcomment.com/2008/10/16/shocking-photo-mccain-plays-grab-ass-with-obama/

Anonymous said...

Clearly you are not from Alaska, or anywhere that has any sort of outdoors culture. Folks that hunt, fish, and camp very often wear their steel-toed boots and Carhartt during their off hours. A lot of people, after spending a good amount of cash for a warm jacket in order to stay warm at a demanding outdoor job, don't have the means to have something else to wear. I find your post to be quite insensitive to those that work real, blue collar jobs - clearly you are some sort of an Ivy League educated snob, probably a lawyer or a banker.

Anonymous said...

I wear steel toe boots when I am getting it on. But some people think I'm a freak for that.